Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Mouthy One....

So I need your advice. I am having problems with Kayden talking back to me. Not necessarily in a rude way but fairly snappy. Growing up as kids we didn't dare tell my parents no or even argue. I know this starts at a very young age and this is why I am concerned about it. My problem is that he is often repeating me in my commands to him. For example, Kayden will say, "Mommy you do it right now! I said now!" How do you explain to them that it is ok for me to tell him what to do but not ok for him to do it? Do you put them in time out? what are your thoughts? even if your kids haven't faced this (lucky you) I still would appreciate your ideas!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh boy! I don't even know where to start with that one! I have 5 mouthy ones at times! It's always best to nip it in the bud while they are little, but all I can say is get used to it:)!

Katie said...

I have no advice, but I would love to here what ideas other people have. Addison is way mouthy. Her new one is "No way mom, no way I am not going to bed." And she always has attitude in everything that she says to us. She is acting like a teenager or something!

Katie said...

So if you've meet Ryley then you know I deal with this constantly. Ben has also started, his favorite comment back is, "Mama you want be to spank your butt?"

With Ryley I had to explain that she's not the mom and she can't talk to me like that. When she was little it was hard to 'punish' her because I think a lot of it is because they see you doing it. Now I'm always reminding her of her attitude and if she gets sassy with me she has to go to the naughty chair. She spends many of her morning there until she can find her nice voice.

This has been a huge struggle for me because I want my children to be able to voice their opinions and talk to me but I want them to respect me as well. Isn't it nice to have a three year old put you in check when it comes to parenting?