Tuesday, May 10, 2011

MUSD GEM testing

I have children going into both 1st grade and kindergarten this coming school year and I have to say, the second time through hasn't been smooth sailing, but it is going much better than trying to figure out the school system before you even have kids in school.

To hopefully help other Mom's who are first timers in this school district, here is a little information I really could have used a year ago!

Do you have a child going into KINDERGARTEN this next fall? Do you want to have your child tested to be in the Gifted Education in Marana (GEM) program at school? check out the district website here: http://www.maranausd.org/index.aspx?NID=4067 to learn more about the testing.

Contact your GEM teacher for your school by clicking on their name for their email address in the GEM teacher directory here: http://www.maranausd.org/index.aspx?NID=3819

If you look at the dates for testing online it says May 31-33. kind of funny. I don't think the gifted teachers wrote that. lol
(I looked online last year for this info and could not find it anywhere, maybe it was there, but it wasn't easy to find, in fact I was told that there is no GEM for kids until 2nd grade. FALSE.)

The Estes GEM teacher is Kristine Stewart. I had the chance to meet her this last Friday and I wish I had met her a year ago! She is so nice and really took the time to answer a million questions from me!

She sent out some info on testing for the incoming kindergartners:
Students entering kindergarten in SY 2011-2012 may take the Cognitive Abilities Test.

There are two sessions:
Session One: May 31, June 1, June 2nd
or
Session Two: July 26, 27 and 28
Your child would need to complete one session (all three days in a row) to take the entire test
.
The test is in the Twin Peaks library, from 8:30-11:00. Your child will need to attend all three testing days in order to complete the entire assessment.
If you have a child (or know of a neighborhood kid) who you would like to refer for testing, please let me know and I can get you the appropriate forms and information. - Kristine Stewart


I emailed her a few times to make sure the information is all there, however I already have a few questions to ask when I contact her to get the paperwork. (like the address of the testing site, just to make sure) I would suggest you communicate with the teacher for your school to have the least amount of mis-communication!


As you can tell above, if you want to have your child tested, contact the GEM teacher for your school, get the right paperwork and find out how to sign up for the test!

I can't believe my Travis is going into kindergarten!!! I'm still not ready for that. :)


3 comments:

Cherise said...

Thank you Thank you! I think this process has been completely missed by many new moms. -and it's helpful to know!! Thanks for your research!

jenny said...

I have two GEM kids. For kids already in school they usually test in the spring. Also if your child does not qualify for GEM their kindergarten year they can retest the next year. I do recommend speaking to the GEM teacher directly instead of the school office.

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Thanks, I'm glad you posted this. I want to get involved with Estes and figure out what's offered and what to be aware of now that Miles will be starting kindergarten and this is a helpful start.